Friday, August 22, 2008

Salute to the Dark Racer

This morning I went for a scheduled "brick" which is a combination bike and run and
unfortunately my riding partner had her bike stolen so I had to go by myself at 5:45 am!

It was very dark when I started from the neighborhood. I headed out on a normal route which takes my along a road over to a trail.

Shortly after I started along one of the neighborhood streets I spotted another rider ahead of me going in the same direction. Since I was without a partner I thought catching this unknown rider would be a good goal and since this was potentially just a commuter going to work they should be an easy catch. I started to increase my speed to catch up to the flashing red lights I saw ahead.

As we both turned onto a trail on the way the mystery rider had aabout a 200yd lead on me. The trail is the San Thomas Aquino trail and runs about 3 miles along the levy next to the creek. It is flat except for where it goes under over passes for several roads, dropping down near the creek into the wisps of fog coming from the creek.

As my friend Darren reminds me I'm not in world class shape, California shape or even Santa Clara shape but I am ok! Over the first mile I worked my way up through the gears and closed the gap to about 100 yds. At this point I think the mystery biker noticed that i had closed the gap and picked up their pace.

Now I became more determined to close the gap and worked up to the top of the 21 gears on the high end road bike I had borrowed. I bent over on the handle bars and dug in to catch my prey.

My legs were feeling the strain and I was really starting to sweat. The gap between us narrowed more as we raced along in silence except for the wind in my ears and the smell of the reeds and creek. I crept closer and got to within 50 yds or so so that as I entered an over pass they exited.

I was now moving along at nearly my top pace and very slowly catching that flasing tail light. At about two miles along in the dark my prey started to pull away!! I dug deeper trying to keep pace. In my head I was thinking all I have to do is try harder and i can catch them. I imagined them seeing my flickering tail light as i went by and how satisfying that would be.

To my dismay the gap widened. not just to the200yds i had originally had but even more! Soon I could not even see the flashing light around the twists and bends.

As I approached the final over pass along the trail I saw the mystery rider sitting atop the bridge and I detected he slightest of a wave as I passed under.

So I salute you mystery racer!! May we race in the dark again and thank you for letting me know how much work i have to do.

btw I completed my brick after racing along for that first 3 miles - 12 mile bike and 2.5 mile run!

No comments: