Monday, November 5, 2007

Milestones #2341

Over the weekend I had another one of those kid related milestones. This one was technology related and I am guessing one that comes earlier and earlier as kids get exposed to all kinds of electronic gadgets at a younger age.

In this case I was attempting to assist Lea in logging into one of the kid oriented social sites from Disney called Club Penguin where they have an avatar that represents the kid. We were struggling to remember both the spelling of the login id as well as the password. We were repeatedly trying different combinations in hopes of hitting on the right one. At some point I asked Lea to go and ask Julia if she could remember the spelling of the login id. Then I sent Lea to ask about the password.

Well Julia must have gotten the sense that we were having trouble because she turned up next to me to assist. Now we have windows XP on this particular computer and each child has their own login. It so happens that we were using Julia's account at the time (she must have been the last one playing on it) and each time I brought up the browser there was a cookie which defaulted to Julia's user id which I was attempting to override. It immediately occurred to Julia to suggest "Dad, just login as Lea and her id and password will be stored there". That worked. Brilliant. She solved the problem right over top of good old dad (and I consider myself reasonably tech savvy, after all I do work for a Silicon Valley software start up called Mark Logic.

I am sure she went back to whatever she was doing saying "Duh!"

p.s. I am sure in my defense that I would have eventually gotten to that too!

No comments: