Saturday, December 22, 2007

Reconnecting...


I love all of the social and professional networking sites that exist now like LinkedIn and Facebook. Since I started using those tools a few years ago (well linkedin not facebook since it is new) I've steadily built networks of friends and acquaintances.

Every now and then though something cool happens and it just did for me. When we lived in Australia we met the nephew of our good friends Terry and Ann. Steven was a great guy but we fell out of touch not too long after we left Australia. Well he just found me again on LinkedIn the other day and we reconnected. After graduating from uni (as they call it in England) and working a bit in the North Sea (geologist) he gave that up and followed his passion for responsible travel (gained in part when he was in Australia when we met him) and started a web site that is a resource for anyone who wants to travel differently and more responsibly. It is called Make Travel Fair and is a great site and if you are going to travel I urge you to take a look at it as a resource.

Interestingly one of the things they have on the site are socially oriented news articles which highlight various issues around the world. There are several articles on Burma and specifically on the Karen people which are the refugees we hosted in September.

Great work Steven! I am glad we were able to reconnect and I wish you great success!

No comments: