Friday, January 16, 2009

A google this and a google that...

Recently our kids of become fond of quantifying and comparing things. I am not sure if this is just a natural curiosity or something that occurs as a result of their learning slightly more advanced math at school. Often when they are quantifying it can become competitive, not surprising really.

So you will often hear "oh yeah well I have 10 and you have 5" or "I've been to the movies 3 times" etc. etc. When this occurs the numbers often escalate and the kids will raise the numbers to bigger and bigger amounts to one up each other.

They recently realized that the search engine they know daddy and mommy use (and a few others I suppose) called Google is also a very large number. Now technically the number is spelled googol and represents 1 with 100 zeros but that is just a detail. So whenever one of them wants the ultimate trump on how many xxx (insert random seemingly meaningless thing here) they will say "oh yeah well I've got a google!" They also often ask me to help quantify that for them. For example they ask me if there are a google "ants" in the world (don't think so) or if we had a google sheets of paper how high would that be? Answer pretty darn high.

So they run around talking all the time now about a google this and a google that. It's pretty funny!

I have not yet tried to explain the concept of infinity as I am having too much fun listening to them talk about a google.

Oh yeah and they also ask me if we had a google dollars would I still work. Answer, duh!

No comments: