Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Heading for The Hinterlands


I've just signed up for a pretty exciting personal vacation trip in November! I'll be going to the Bahamas for a 6 day kayaking trip through an outdoor group with the church. I don't know too many details and actually hoping to keep it that way so that I can go with the flow while we are out there.
Selfishly this is a personal John get away trip. Though I've had many work trips I've had very few days away on my own. Melissa likes to call this my "mid-life crisis" trip and maybe I am having one and maybe not. Either way she has been very supportive and encouraging regarding the decision despite the fact that this will put her out on an already heavy travel season.

A friend Bruce who went on the trip described it this way:

"enjoy your kayaking trip. I'm sure you'll find it rewarding. one of the things I remember was the sense of total isolation. and not in a bad way at all - the outside world just seemed to disappear and become irrelevant. all that really mattered was the here and now - the water, wind, boats, etc. and it allowed me to think about "the bigger picture" stuff in a way I hadn't really been able to before. "

Needless to say I am pretty excited, check out this picture from last year's trip. That is some very blue water and some very white sand. Pretty amazing!


click on the picture for a bigger version.

No comments: