Sunday, April 20, 2008

Loosing the handyman touch?

Anyone that has known me for a while knows that I am generally a pretty handy guy around the house and have never shied away from projects big and small. Outdoors I've redone yards, done extensive work on cars (including replacing the CV joint of my Honda Civic in high school) and even today perform minor maintenance on my vehicles like replacing the rear wiper motor on my Ford Expedition. Indoors I also have a long history of taking on projects including refurbishing a house which included rebuilding the kitchen from bare walls, finishing the 25x24 ft basement and many small projects. In our current house I hang all the lights (nearly every room at this point) and shelves in the house, unclogged sinks and toilets (including freeing a pair of swimming goggles lodged in our bathroom commode thanks to Nicolas).

So when I recently tried to tackle two small problems I confidently thought I could quickly solve them. One problem was the disposal was apparently jammed with food or some object and shorting out. I tried all the tricks to get the thing working again including getting wrench's out to hand turn the mechanism. No luck. At the same time our freeze door has been sticking open causing us to loose food I've tried taking the door out, fiddling with it, putting additional lubricant etc etc. No luck.

The other thing about me with regards to these things is that I am stubborn and don't want to call help, so in this case we lived with both of these situations - sink that didn't drain and no disposal and freezer sticking open, for several weeks. I finally broke down and asked Melissa and asked her to call a repair man JUST FOR THE SINK.

The guy comes does exactly what I did and boom it works. Melissa then casually mentions that we are having having a little trouble with the freezer door and he fixes that in 5 minutes too!

Damn! Am I loosing my touch??

No comments: