Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Signs of age

As I approach my 41st birthday I must admit I still feel very young. At the men's retreat we were asked "how old we feel" to which I replied "mid to late 20's" because I generally do at least mentally. But...recently there were to occasions where I felt my actual age.

1) We played a pick-up game of softball at the men's retreat. Nothing special, not a marathon game or anything else out of the ordinary but it was the first game of softball I have played in 9 or 10 years. I was however sore in my legs and shoulders for days after! I am guessing my "slow twitch" muscle fibers hadn't been used that way in a long long time. I had to take ibuprofen just to sleep! Compounding the whole thing was a long plane ride for a business trip to San Antonio the following day which meant I sat on airplanes. I think if I could have gone for a run I would have been OK. I actually had to use my arms to extend and retract my legs while sitting in the plane seat!! Bummer!

2) A few weeks back I was on a business trip to NYC to meet with some of our publishing team. During the visit after one of the team dinners I found myself chatting with two of the younger members of the team. At some point they asked me how I had been successful in my career and did I have any advice for them, which I willingly offered. It was only later upon reflection did I realize that I had become that "older sage" at the office whom younger workers ask for advice! Ouch!

When did I cross the line??

Signed - Still young at heart!

No comments: