Monday, October 22, 2007

Where you are and where you should be

I just got back from a weekend men’s retreat in the Santa Cruz mountains at a place called Mt. Cross camp which is a Lutheran church camp tucked deep in the redwoods. There were about 30 men there with age ranging from 30's to 80's and it was really great to get away and just talk and have fellowship with other men. When I left for it on Friday it was the place I felt like I least had time to be as it was an extremely busy week and I am now on my way to San Antonio for a work trip (it’s Sunday) however after the first hour or so I felt like that was the place I most needed to be. Once can become so unbalanced that it is good to take time and reflect and have fellowship. We had a speaker who was a friend of one of our pastors and the theme he spoke about was “life comes at you fast”. He broke the discussion down into 4 phases of life: childhood, adolescence, adulthood and older life. We also broke into small groups to talk over questions he had prepared in a more personal format. The questions were related to each phase of life we discussed like “what do you know now that you never thought you would?” etc. There was also plenty of time to play games both physical (softball) and mental (blockus a really cool game you might want to look into).

Despite the fact that I really did not have time to decompress and discuss with Melissa I am glad I went and will endeavor to go again next year.

No comments: