Sunday, September 21, 2008

Walking Beside Her: 1st edition

I have occasionally blogged about the journey Melissa has been on regarding the refugees. I wish at this point that I had blogged about more of the amazing experiences she has had and I hope to catch up on some of them.

This past weekend there was yet another milestone for Melissa along the way and I wanted to get it out there. There was a big missional fair in Monterey where Melissa had a chance to expose the leadership of all of the churches in our presbytery to the work that she and Elsa have been doing. Interestingly this was somewhat similar to a traditional trade show I do at work so I was able to lend some advice.

The idea was to let the leadership know how their organization the Refugee Outreach Partnership can help link them up with refugees, provide resources and guidance to help them with their outreach ministry. As part of the fair they also gave a 30 minute presentation which included talks from Melissa, Elsa, a video Melissa had made and several refugees. It was a heartfelt presentation and I am told a highlight of the entire day (i was watching the kids at the hotel).

Refugees were in fact the theme of the ministry fair and I think highlights just how far they have come in the last year. It was just over a year ago that we took a chance and hosted 3 refugees at our house and started accelerating all of their efforts. Now they are reaching out to the entire bay area and working to help many many people through a network of organizations.

Needless to say I am very proud to walk beside Melissa during this journey she is on.

No comments: