Sunday, November 16, 2008

Running with doggy

We are once again dog sitting this time with Waters a 2yr old black lab owned by a friend of ours named Val. In high school I used to run with our dog and then again after college with my own dogs Havoc and Griffin.

So I thought I would give it a try with Waters even though I wasn't sure he had done any running with Val or anyone else (we are the first to dog sit Waters). After letting him "do his business" before the run (which was quite convenient) I started off at a medium pace. Waters was a bit confused and seemed to be thinking that surely I was going to stop somewhere at some point and kept hanging back at leash length waiting. I was hoping it wasn't going to stay this way because he was pulling back slowing us down and I was starting to regret bringing him with me.

We worked our way over to the levy near our house and we continued on the 3.5 mile loop I had planned for the day. Eventually either because I finally started to slow down or he figured out we weren't stopping Waters closed the gap between us and ran at my side.

Ultimately he did a great job and I know he liked it because the very next time I went out for a run he went and got his leash and dropped it at my feet when I was putting my shoes on. Of course with this kind of proactive effort I brought him out again and this time he ran by my side the entire time.

I'll have to tell Val how much he likes running, maybe she will take him out too.

No comments: