Sunday, October 26, 2008

Upgrades - harder to come by but more worth it than ever

I've been making a few work related trips lately (hence the lack of posts) but now have a little time before I am back out on the road. On one of my recent trips to NYC I was taking a red-eye in order to minimize time away from home (awwww) and put in for an upgrade. It has been quite some time since I was able to get an upgrade I think because I generally fly out of San Francisco and there are so many frequent flyer's there that I am always at the bottom of the upgrade list despite my premier executive status.

Anyway it was a grim site when I arrived as the upgrade board showed me as 6th on the list with just 40 minutes to go. As they called boarding and cleared off the final few upgrades I resigned myself to make the most out of my regular seat.

As I passed the boarding agent they called out my name and I was made the last upgrade! This was doubly sweet because of the red-eye and my need to get some sleep.

The seats themselves are better than ever, reclining further with softer leather. But one of the real nice things was that instead of a regular blanket they actually gave me a full down-filled duvet and pillow! Talk about catering to sleep! Plus you don't have to pay for any of the food or drink which is an additional bonus.

Needless to say I was able to get some sleep thankfully.

No wonder I am rarely able to get an upgrade.

No comments: