Saturday, October 4, 2008

Welcome Rain!!!

Last night I woke up to the first rain of the fall here in Northern California. It was a nice medium downpour that lasted for several hours giving the ground a nice soaking and washing the dust off of everything.

Having lived most of my life on the east coast I still haven't gotten used to the idea that after late April or May we don't see a drop of rain here in the Bay Area all summer. None, not a sprinkle, drizzle, shower~ nothing! Where I grew up we would get awesome summer thunder storms which roll through at all hours and can have window rattling thunder and house illuminating lighting so I may never get totally used to the dry summers. It is extremely convenient for camping I must admit.

The rain issues in another winter time phenomenon here too which is the greening of the hills in the east bay. Unlike other places I have lived which turn brown in the winter the rain bring life to the grasses of the hills turning them a deep green after spending the summer golden brown.

We always welcome the arrival of rains, it is a nice change and gives the kids a chance to go out and splash in the puddles.

I am also glad that I was able to give the window sills a much needed paint job last weekend, protecting them from the winter rains.

No comments: