Friday, December 11, 2009

Mid-air communications

It's been a little while since I've blogged so apologies to my regular readers, it has been a busy 3 weeks.

I am taking what I think will be an increasingly common occurrence to blog while flying back from a recent week long work trip to the east coast. The United plane I am on is equipped with a free wireless connection and I can connect to email and the Internet like I am sitting at my kitchen table at home.

As far as performance of the connection it is fast despite the fact that I see many other open PCs who are probably using it too.

I think overall this is exceedingly cool!

On the down side it robs me of one of the few times I had to stay completely disconnected (although I don't HAVE to use it of course) to catch up on other things.

One of the benefits however is that I don't land to a full inbox of things to do, i knock them out along the way. The other is that I can of course communicate with others.

I have to say that it was a little surreal when I was just on instant messenger (text way to chat with another person computer - computer) with someone on the marketing team and she is also flying back from the same trip. She took off about an hour after me and we were able to catch up on some things that otherwise might have had to wait. Pretty cool to think that we were chatting away at 38,000ft on different planes!

I think I like this new development although I am sure some would argue that the world is already too connected, which may be true. I don't have to use it but I can blog again! I prefer this to offering cell phone usage as I would not want someone blathering away on a phone next to me.

I just looked out the window and we are coming over the Rockies which have a beautiful covering of snow.

Over and out!

No comments: